Yoga: Are you doing the Utkatasana wrong? Know the health benefits, steps to perform the pose | Photo Credits: Pixabay
- Utkatasana is also known as the chair pose which is a standing asana
- People often make a mistake while performing this pose
- Let’s check out some health benefits and the correct way of performing the Utkatasana
New Delhi: Yoga helps in developing your body and mind. If you are looking to improve your overall health both physically and mentally, then you should definitely practise yoga every day. It is famous for curing many health conditions like cancer, heart diseases, diabetes and hypertension. If you are performing yoga for the very first time, then make sure you learn about all the asanas and their steps thoroughly. Yoga calms you down mentally and spiritually. It also provides general physical benefits like improving your strength and flexibility. Yoga helps you manage stress to relax. It can also fix your insomnia. Yoga gives you energy and brightens up your mood.
Utkatasana is like sitting on an imaginary chair. It can be a bit uncomfortable and challenging in the beginning but it is extremely beneficial for your overall development. The meaning of Utkatasana is intense pose/powerful pose. Some people might not understand this pose correctly and end up performing it in the wrong way. You must follow the right steps to benefit from this pose.
5 steps to perform Utkatasana correctly:
- Stand straight with your feet slightly apart.
- Stretch your hands straight to the front without bending your elbows.
- Bend your knees slightly as if you are sitting on an imaginary chair. Make sure your spine is straight.
- Take deep breaths.
- Keep going down and repeat this till you feel like lying down straight and then relax the posture.
Health benefits of Utkatasana:
- This yoga pose strengthens your thigh muscles and ankles.
- It tones your shoulders, hip, butt and back. This pose stretches your muscles and strengthens them from within.
- Utkatasana is extremely beneficial for people suffering from flat feet. It reduces the symptoms of this disease.
- This yoga pose is very good for your cardiovascular health. It improves your heart condition and stimulates the heart and diaphragm.
- Utkatasana builds your endurance and increases your stamina.
- This posture is extremely beneficial for your nervous system as well. It helps you relax and calm down.
Utkatasana is a deep squat pose and is mainly meant to strengthen your lower body. One must take all necessary precautions while performing this yoga posture. If you don’t do it correctly, you might lose out on the benefits of this posture. You should avoid this pose if you suffer from headache and high blood pressure, or you have recently injured your knee, back or hip. Utkatasana will give you both inner and outer body strength.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.