I myself have worked for 10 years in the highly stressful working environment of the academic world: I did my PhD in Literary Studies at Leuven University (K.U.Leuven) in Belgium and later worked there as a postdoctoral researcher. I was a top researcher in my field and continued to hold a Chair in Literary Studies at Penn University in Philadelphia (US).
When I started teaching Kundalini Yoga (at first alongside my academic career), one of the first areas I specialised in was stress management, burnout prevention, depression and business yoga. Leuven University actually became one of the first places I taught Kundalini Yoga: from 2008 to 2011 I taught several weekly lunchtime Kundalini Yoga & Meditation classes.
Most people in the corporate and the academic world are affected by the stress and tension that their workload places on them. Yoga in general and Kundalini Yoga in particular is an excellent tool to
- reduce mental, emotional as well as physical stress and tension
- strengthen the immune system and reduce absence through illness
- reduce physical, mental and emotional fatigue
- reduce the risk of burnout and depression
- lessen specific aches and ailments related to sitting behind a desk or in a car for long hours every day (such as back pain, neck problems, headaches, eye problems, …)
- lower raised blood pressure (caused by stress and deadlines)
- increase employees’ vitality
- improve focus, concentration and brain efficiency
- improve the ability to keep a cool head under stressful situations
- improve self-confidence and success rates of employees
- support the general well-being and atmosphere
- help employees in building relationships with one another and improve communication
- improve the sense of community and team-building spirit in a company, resulting in a reduction in staff turnover
- make the workplace more attractive to current and prospective employees.
Corporate or Business Yoga thus offers tremendous benefits both to employees and to the company that employs them, and does so conveniently and very cost-effectively. The improvement in efficiency and lower rates of absenteeism, leading to greater productivity and profits for the company, greatly outweighs the cost of running these sessions. Companies that offer corporate yoga usually enjoy lower health care premiums as well.
We offer the choice between regular corporate lunchtime yoga and meditation sessions or one-off workshops on stress management & burnout prevention. The duration of sessions can be chosen to match the needs of your company.