Yoga breathing exercises can help you lose belly fat  |  Photo Credit: Thinkstock
New Delhi: On the occasion of International Yoga Day, which is celebrated today (June 21) every year since its establishment in 2015, we’re going to reveal two of the most effective breathing exercises to help you lose weight and stay in shape for the rest of your life. Whether you want to shed a few kilos or increase flexibility or improve your overall life, yoga has it all. While the physical benefits of yoga are well-known, the mental benefits are just as important. Practising yoga regularly improves mind-body connection, which gives you a better awareness of your own body and is crucial for successful weight loss. Yoga can also help treat obesity, which makes life lethargic and sedentary. Being obese or overweight puts you at high risk of developing serious health conditions, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, depression, joint ailments, etc.
Losing weight will not only make you feel and look good but will also help you avoid further health complications. A combination of healthy diet and regular exercise goes a long way in shedding the excess weight and maintaining overall health. Yoga is an effective tool for weight loss. It can help you burn unwanted body fat from the inside out. Yoga breathing exercises are one of the best ways to lose belly fat. Known as pranayama, these exercises boost metabolism which helps to burn fats and lead to weight loss. Try these three simple breathing exercises to get rid of stubborn belly fat and regain health:
It is a powerful and energetic breathing exercise that raises your metabolic function and burns fat faster. Bhastrika also helps in asthma, respiratory problems, thyroid and gives calmness to the mind. Read – International Yoga Day 2018: 10-minute Yoga asanas for beginners (Watch)
How to do Bhastrika
- Sit on the Lotus Pose with your back and neck straight, and eyes closed.
- Relax your stomach muscles and place your palms on your knees.
- Inhale deeply, filling the lungs with air.
- Gently exhale.
- Both inhalation and exhalation should take the same length of time – about 2.5 seconds to breathe in and 2.5 seconds to breathe out.
- Expand and contract your diaphragm in tandem with your breathing.
- You can repeat the procedure for 5-10 minutes.
Kapalabhati is an exceptional way to lose weight naturally. It can help control obesity. Kapalabhati improves digestion and is helpful for all kinds of breathing problem and good health.
How to do Bhastrika
- Sit on the floor with folded legs or padmasana, keeping your eyes closed and your neck and back straight.
- Keep both your palms on your knees.
- Now, take a deep breath (inhale) through your both nostrils gently and exhale forcefully so that your stomach will go deep inside.
- As you exhale, you will feel some pressure in your abdomen.
- Repeat the process for at least 5 minutes.
Doing these breathing exercises regularly along with a healthy eating plan will surely give you long-term benefits.