Chakrasana – Urdva Dhanurasana – Wheel Pose
Chakrasana, also called Urdva Dhanurasana is an asana. Sanskrit: ऊर्ध्वधनुरासन; Urdhva – Upward, Dhanur – Bow, Asana – Pose; Pronounced As – OORD-vah don-your-AHS-anna
Chakrasana (Sanskrit: चक्रासन IAST: Chakrāsana, Wheel Pose) or Urdva Dhanurasana (Sanskrit: ऊर्ध्वधनुरासन; IAST: Ūrdhvadhanurāsana, Upward-Facing Bow Pose) is an asana. It is a backbend and part of the finishing sequence in the Primary Series of Ashtanga. It gives great flexibility to the spine.
The Urdhva Dhanurasana is a backbend and also an asana that is part of the final exercises in an Ashtanga Yoga regime. It is also called Chakrasana or the Pose de Rueda, apart from being called the Bow Pose that Looks Upwards. When the posture is assumed, it resembles a wheel or an upward bow. This asana is known to give the spine great flexibility. When it is done as part of an acrobatic or gymnastic routine, it is called Back Bridge.
Steps of Chakrasana – Urdva Dhanurasana (Wheel Pose)
- Lie down on your back with feet apart ,bend your knees and place your feet on the ground close to your body.
- Now bring your palms under your shoulders such that the fingers point towards the shoulders and the elbows are shoulder width apart.
- Inhale and press your palms firmly into the floor.
- Lift your shoulders and elbow firmly into the floor
- Your Feet should be pressed firmly into the floor.
- Inhale and lift your hips up.
- The spine should be rolled up so that it may seem to resemble a semi circular arch or wheel.
- Straighten out your arms and legs as much as possible so that the hips and chest maybe pushed up.
- Hold this pose for at least 15-30 seconds.
- To go back to original, bend your elbows to lower your head and shoulders to the floor.
- Then bend your knees and bring your spine and hips back to the ground and relax.
Cautions of Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)
- Do not try this Asana in case of back injury.
- If you are suffering from heart problems, then don’t try this.
- Headache, Diarrhea and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- High or low blood pressure.
- Do not perform this if suffering from any cardiac or spinal problems.
- Avoid if suffering from hernia.
Health Benefits Of The Upward Facing Bow Pose (Wheel Pose):
- Strengthens liver, pancreas and kidneys.
- Excellent for heart.
- Good for infertility, asthma and osteoporosis.
- Strengthens arms, shoulders, hands, wrists and legs.
- Stretches the chest and lungs
- Strengthens the arms and wrists, legs, buttocks, abdomen, and spine
- Stimulates the thyroid and pituitary glands.
- Increases energy and counteracts depression.
- This asana also gives strength to your legs, abdomen, buttocks, spine, shoulder blades, glutes, hamstrings, lower back, wrists, and arms.
- It cures infertility, asthma, and osteoporosis.
- It also relieves stress and reduces depression, and makes you feel energetic and full of life.
Post Views: 48,614
HEALTH BENEFITS of Chakrasana