Setu Bandha asana is known as Bridge pose yoga, and it is a combination of three words, Setu means “bridge,” Bandha means “bind,” and Asana means “Pose.”
When you practise bridge pose yoga steps, your body resembles a bridge. And therefore, this asana is known as bridge pose yoga.
Bridge pose yoga is amazing for people who want to work on their back strength. And, to practise Bridge Pose yoga steps (Setu Bandhasana) you must know the correct way to practise Bridge pose correctly to prevent any reverse effects and most importantly injuries.
Bridge Pose Yoga steps (Setu Bandhasana):
Steps 1: Lay down and bend your knees.
Steps 2: Your ankles and knees should be in a straight line.
Steps 3: Lift your buttocks off the floor.
- First, you need to get a yoga mat or whatever mat you feel comfortable to practise Bridge pose yoga steps.
- Then you need to lie down on your back.
- Then fold your knee, and try to maintain a gap of 10 to 12 inches from your pelvis, with ankles and knees in a straight line.
- Try to keep your palms facing down, and your arms should be beside your body.
- Start inhaling and then try to lift your lower back, middle back and the upper back area off the floor and do this slowly.
- While doing the above steps, gently roll in the shoulders, and your chest should be touching the chin without bringing the chin down.
- Try to support your body weight with your shoulders, feet and arms.
- While practising these steps, you will feel that your bottom is firm up in this pose.
- Make sure that both your thighs are parallel to each other.
- In case, you want to take Bridge pose steps to the next level you need to lift the torso a little more up by pushing your hand on the floor. Keep your hands on the floor and use your palms to support your back.
- While practising bridge pose yoga, you must breathe easily.
- After holding the posture for at least one to two minutes, exhale and gently release the pose and come back to the starting position.
Bridge Pose Yoga Benefits: (Setu Bandhasana)
- Bridge pose yoga benefits your back muscles and strengthens them.
- Bridge pose yoga helps to relieve the tired back quickly.
- Bridge pose benefits your chest, spine and neck and also helps to give a nice stretch to these parts of your body.
- Bridge pose helps to reduce anxiety, depression, and stress and calms the brain.
- Bridge pose helps to get rid of the thyroid problem by opening up the lungs.
- Bridge pose benefits digestion related issues and improve the digestion process.
- Bridge pose helps to get rid of the symptoms of menopause and menstrual pain.
- Bridge pose yoga benefits people who are suffering from osteoporosis, asthma, sinusitis, and high blood pressure problem.
In case, you are suffering from neck or back pain injury then do not practise Bridge pose yoga (Setu Bandhasana).