Benefits of Vakrasana: Do this yoga asana to lower blood sugar levels, tone your tummy and thighs  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Adding Yoga to your daily routine is one of the best things you can do for your overall health and well-being
- Several yoga asanas such as Vakrasana can be beneficial for people with diabetes
- Learn the health benefits of the Half Spinal Twist Pose and how to do it
New Delhi: Yoga can benefit people of all ages in many ways. Practicing yoga every day can have positive effects on your body and mind. It increases flexibility, improves immunity, boosts metabolism, lowers stress, and helps you lose weight. Yoga can be an effective tool to manage diabetes. Ahead of International Yoga Day, which is celebrated on 21 June, let us tell you an effective yoga asana – Vakrasana or the Half Spinal Twist Pose – that can help reduce high blood sugar levels while also improving circulation and flattening your tummy.
Research suggests that regular practice of yoga can not only help improve blood sugar control, but also reduce the risk of diabetes complications such as heart disease. According to yoga experts, Vakrasana stimulates the pancreas, making it beneficial for diabetics. This yoga pose regulates the secretion of digestive juices, which helps combat digestive issues. Adding Vakrasana to your daily routine help can be useful in the management of diabetes and weight.
How to do Vakrasana or the Half Spinal Twist Pose
- Sit comfortably on the mat with your legs stretched out in front of you.
- Keep your hands parallel to your thighs, palms resting on the floor.
- Bend your left knee at 90 degrees, resting your sole on the floor.
- Twist your waist and place your right hand on the outer side of your folded left knee – ensure that your right elbow touches the left knee. Hold the left ankle with your right hand.
- Now, turn your head to your left while placing your left hand just behind the hip.
- Try to hold this position for about 30 seconds while breathing normally.
- Release your right hand holding the left ankle to turn front.
- Bring hands to the side of the body, straighten your left leg and relax for 10 seconds.
- Repeat the same on the opposite side.
Benefits of Vakrasana or the Half Spinal Twist Pose
- It improves the function of the pancreas, which is beneficial for people with diabetes.
- It regulates the secretion of digestive juices, improving digestion and combating constipation.
- It massages the abdominal organs and helps reduce belly fat.
- It makes the spine flexible.
- It strengthens the back and helps with chronic back and shoulder pain.
- It also helps support healthy adrenal glands.
A word of caution: You should avoid practicing this asana if you have slipped disc, or severe spine, ulcers, shoulder or hip injury, or undergone any recent surgery of the abdomen or the hips or the thorax. Also, pregnant women should not do Vakrasana.
The bottom line is, a healthy diet combined with regular exercise, including yoga practice, can help you control diabetes, maintain weight, improve overall health.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.