Anulom Vilom Pranayama is one of several Pranayama or breathing exercise used in the practice of Hatha yoga. At first, you have to understand the meaning of Anuloma and Viloma.In this, the first word Anu roughly translates as with and word Loma means hair implying “with the grain” or “natural”. And the meaning of Viloma is “against the grain.” Anuloma is the opposite of Viloma. It is very helpful in respiratory-related diseases like Asthma.
Anulom Vilom Pranayama is the best way of balancing the Tri dosas in our body. Our body gets ill when Tri dosas are not in a balancing position. Vaaa, Pitta, Kaffa know as Tri dosas, Tri means “three” and the meaning of dosas is impurities. All these are present in the body of every people. If one of them is an imbalance that we suffer from different diseases. All three are the cause of all diseases. So it’s important to balance these tri dosas. If you really want to balance these Tri dosas than do Anulom Vilom pranayama regularly. It is the simplest and best way for this.
Steps of Anulom vilom Pranayama
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama is very easy to do, first of all, close your eyes and sit in Padmasana and rest your hands on your knees.
- Close the right nostril with the right thumb. Inhale slowly through the left nostril, inhale the oxygen as much as you can, this will fill your lungs with air.
- Remove your thumb from your right nostril, as you remove your thumb from right nostril just exhale.
- When you exhale use your middle finger to close your left nostril then inhale with our right nostril and remove the thumb from the right nostril then exhale. Repeat this process for 5 minutes.
- Be focused and concentrate on your breathing.
Benefits of Anulom vilom Pranayama
- It helps to cure mental problems like Depression, Anxiety, Stress, Tension, etc.
- Most beneficial for breathing-related problems like (Bronchitis, Asthma), etc.
- Improve the working of the lungs.
- Best breathing technique for boosting your memory (Makes your brain sharper).
- Improves your immune system, so it cures general issues like cough & cold.
- Without any doubt, Anulom Vilom is the most suitable Pranayama for all.
- Alternate nostril breathing is an ideal breathing technique for maintaining your heart healthy.
An alternate nostril breathing technique is the ideal breathing exercise for a healthy heart. it is also known as Nadi Shodhana pranayama. Nadi Shodhana is the next level of Anulom Vilom. In Anulom Vilom Pranayama we inhale and exhale, but in Nadi Shodhana pranayama we hold (kumbhaka or retention) our breath for a second or minute than exhale.
Steps of Nadi Shodhana Pranayama
(next level of Anulom Vilom Pranayama)
- Sit in the Padmasana (lotus pose) close your eyes. Your spine should be erect.
- Then inhale through your left nostril, while inhaling close your right nostril with your right thumb.
- When you feel your lungs are full of air then close left nostril by the ring and middle finger, and your right nostril should also close.
- Hold the breath for a minute or as much as you can, then exhale through the right nostril. After that inhale through the right nostril and close the left nostril by your left thumb, as you inhale completely just close your right nostril with thumb and left nostril by the ring and middle finger.
- Hold your breath (retention) for a minute than exhale by your left nostril.
- Once a cycle is complete, repeat the cycle for 3 or five minutes.
Benefits of Nadi Shodhana Pranayama
- The benefits of Nadi Shodhana Pranayama is the Same as the benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayama.
- Don’t get confused in Anulom Vilom and Nadi Shodhana Pranayama.
- Both are same but in Nadi Shodhana we hold our breath that’s it.
- Another name of Anulom Vilom Pranayama is Nadi Shodhana. First of all, you have to practice Anulom Vilom Pranayama when you are perfect then you’ll go for the next level of Anulom Vilom Pranayama (Nadi Shodhana).
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama is best for balancing the level of Tri – Dosas in our body.
- Yoga Vs Gym
- Aloe Vera
- Try to Perform Pranayama in the morning with an empty stomach. If you haven’t enough time in the morning then do it in the evening but keep several hours gap in between your meals and Pranayama.
- Throughout the practice, assume that all your impurities are come out with exhale. With every inhalation wonder that your mind is getting some positivity and your body is more energetic than before.
- When you are trying to do Nadi Shodhana note that inhalation, retention, and exhalation are all in equal duration which is called Sama vrtti and this is for beginners.
People who are more advanced may try Visama vrtti or uneven breath, by using the ratio such as 1:4:2. (1 beat inhale, 4 beat retention, and a 2 beat exhale.
Other Breathing Techniques
Visit: Yoga Poses
Anulom vilom Pranayama FAQs
What is the best time and Place to do Anulom vilom Pranayama?
Morning is the best time to practice Anulo vilom Pranayama and you can practice it in the evening if you are not getting enough time in the morning. you should practice breathing exercises in Fresh air and it should an open area where the flow of air is normal. This can be done even after meals
How many times Anulom Vilom should be done?
You should practice it at least 60 to 80 times daily with Long and deep breathing, try to balance the timing of inhaling and exhale. The Alternate nostril breathing technique is excellent for healing, chakra balancing and getting rid of breathing or respiratory problems.
Can Anulom Vilom be done before sleeping on bed?
It is beneficial to cure insomnia problem if you practice it before sleeping. the practice of an Alternate nostril breathing technique makes your mind calm and relax.
Does Anulom Vilom really work?
Yes, Anulom vilom and Kapalbhati pranayama are very effective for the mantel and physical health. Alternate nostril breathing technique Helps harmonize the left and right hemispheres of the brain, which correlate to the logical and emotional sides of our personality.