People suffering from kidney stones are increasingly becoming common nowadays among all age groups. Women and men, irrespective of their age, are equally prone to this health condition, which can get painful. The yoga asanas for kidney stones will help one treat this predicament naturally and also work towards the overall general well-being of one’s body.
Kidney stones are a painful condition where one experiences sudden sharp and severe pain in the abdomen. This can adversely affect one’s overall health. On the other hand, these yoga poses for kidney stones help to stretch the body effectively and get rid of kidney stones from the body in a healthy manner. Here is how one can achieve this!
What Are Kidney Stones And Reasons:
Kidney stones are nothing but hard mineral and salt deposits that form inside the kidneys. These are mostly caused when the urine contains higher levels of minerals and salts than required levels. The different types of kidney stones are calcium stones, struvite stones, uric acid, and cysteine stones.
Further, kidney stones vary in size and shape from person to person. They can be as small as grains or tiny sand particles; mostly doctors advise to eliminate kidney stones through medications and natural methods. Further, the kidney stones can also be brown or yellow in color depending on the health of one’s kidney. The common reasons for these include blockage in the urinary tract, digestive concerns, obesity, and more.
Can Yoga Cure Kidney Stones?
Yoga in medical terms will not completely cure the condition. Besides medical care, yoga and fitness are recommended, as this yoga to remove kidney stones helps to seek relief from the pain and symptoms and enhances the functioning of the kidney. With regular practice and best results, any small kidney stones can be gotten rid of from the body effectively with yoga.
Symptoms of Kidney Stones:
Here are a few common known symptoms of having kidney stones:
- Severe pain near the lower abdomen or groin may also have pain and cramping near the back
- Intense need and urge to urinate frequently
- Nausea and vomiting
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Urine, which is dark in colour due to blood
Causes of Kidney Stones:
The several causes and risk factors for kidney stones are as follows
- Dehydration issue
- Bowel concerns and diseases
- Family history and genes
- Other medical conditions such as using medications including steroids, probenecid, anticonvulsants, and so on
[Read More: Causes and Symptoms of Kidney Stones]
Yoga Poses And Asanas For Kidney Stones:
Here come the popular yoga poses for kidney stones.
1. Camel Pose:
Camel pose is a lesser heard of pose for many. It is known as Ushtra asana in yoga, which helps immensely for curing kidney stones. The pose helps to treat and works on preventing kidney stones and helps relieve the pain and concerns with blood during this condition. Here is how to do it.
- Begin by going down on your knees hip-width apart
- Place your hands behind
- Push your hips and thighs forward
- Lean back and hold your heels with your hands
- Stay in this posture for 15-20 seconds
- Breath in and out during this time
- Return to the original position slowly
- If you have a back injury or have had surgery, do not attempt this one.
2. Raised Leg:
Another popular yoga asana for kidney stones is raised leg. This is also called as Uttanpadasana. This asana helps greatly to relax your muscles in the lower back area, abdomen, legs, and pelvic area. The contraction of muscles takes place and in turn, helps the functioning of kidneys and liver. Any pain during kidney stones is also relieved and worked on.
- Lie down straight on your back
- Make sure arms are by the side of the body
- Palms should be resting on the floor
- Exhale and inhale steadily
- Now lift up the legs up straight and make sure they are at a perpendicular angle from the floor
- Hold the position, relax and return to normal position
3. Wind Releasing Pose:
This pose is also known as Pawanmuktasana. Here the entire body is stretched from the head to the legs and works effectively on the lower back and kidney area. Any kidney stones are reduced, and there is relief from pain and cramping. Here is how to perform this yoga.
- Lie down flat on the floor, on a mat
- Inhale slowly
- Bring your legs up towards your chest area
- In this position, you can also try to touch your knees with your head
- Take deep breaths
- Exhale and release from this pose
- Do not work on this pose if you are having problems with your spine
[See More: Best Yoga Asanas For Diabetes]
4. Child Pose:
It is known as Bala asana, which is yoga for kidney stone removal. It helps not just to reduce pain, but to prevent overall worsening. Those who have problems with digestion and kidney concerns can do this regularly to avoid any further damage or issues. Any stomach and kidney pains will be reduced, as well.
- Sit on the floor with buttocks resting on the heels (in vajrasana position)
- Lift your arms above your head
- Ensure that you are breathing in and out
- Stretch out arms and lower your torso between your thighs with palms facing downwards
- Continue in this pose for 30 seconds
- Relax and return to the original position
- Repeat the same
- Do not work on this pose if you are pregnant or have a knee injury
5. Half Spinal Twist:
The half spinal twist pose is also known as Ardha Matsyendrasana. This pose benefits to improve the functioning of kidneys, reduce pain, and have adequate blood flow towards the liver. Any issues with the liver, pancreas, and abdomen can be resolved with this yoga pose.
These are among the common causes, which can raise concerns in your kidney, and doing this pose regularly can be very beneficial.
- Sit on the floor comfortably
- Bend left knee first
- Place your left heel under right side hip
- Now place your right leg on the top of the left knee
- Place your left hand on the right knee
- The right hand should now be placed behind the back
- Slowly twist waist towards the right side
- Look over your right shoulder
- Keep your back erect
- Do not forget to inhale and exhale
- Release the pose slowly
- Repeat it
- Make sure you do not sit on your heels
- This should be avoided during pregnancy, and if you have hernia issues.
6. Eagle Pose:
The garudasana, also known as Eagle pose, is an effective one to treat kidney concerns. This kidney stone yoga Ramdev helps to increase the flow of blood to kidneys, and boost the overall functioning of the kidneys. The body balance is improved overall and helps to strengthen the muscles around the abdominal area.
- Stand erect
- Lift right leg slowly
- Cross it over the left thigh area carefully
- One must balance the body on the left leg
- Raise elbows to shoulder level length
- Now criss-cross right elbow over the left one
- Make sure palms are closer
- Breathe in and out
- Hold the position for 20 seconds
- Relax and repeat
- End this asana by lying down in corpse pose.
[See More: Yoga Asanas To Treat Asthma]
7. Bow Pose:
Bow pose is known as Dhanurasana, helps immensely to relieve kidney stones and reduce the pain near the pelvic area as well. Any concerns with bowel area and digestion issues are also reduced during this pose. It helps in the overall functioning of kidneys in an effective way.
- Lie down on your stomach
- Keep arms by your side and keep both legs apart
- Breath in and out
- Now fold your knees and hold both ankles with your hands
- Lift your chest from the ground
- Pull both legs straight up at the same time
- Look straight and stretch the body like a bow
- Continue for 20-30 seconds
- If you have back pain or hernia, you should not do this asana
8. Cobra Pose:
The popular cobra pose is known as Bhujanganasa. Here the overall blood circulation in the body is greatly improved and helps to stimulate organs in the abdominal region, treat any concerns with kidney pain and relief provided. It stretches the kidneys and helps to clear the blockages in it. This is a popular kidney stone treatment by Baba Ramdev.
- Lie down on your stomach
- Place both hands and palms on the floor
- Inhale and exhale
- Lift the torso
- Feel the stretch
- You can raise as much as possible
- Take deep breaths
- Relax and repeat
You may not believe how pranayama for kidney stones helps. This breathing exercise and technique help greatly to relax the overall body and mind. The regular practice helps to keep internal organs healthy and improves the overall functioning and stimulation of body organs. Any blood pressure can be controlled, and chronic diseases can be reduced.
- Sit down comfortably
- Make sure that your spine is erect and straight
- Close your eyes
- Take deep breaths
- Start to inhale and exhale deeply
- Concentrate on the process
- Make sure you do it for 10-15 minutes
[See More: Best Yoga Poses For Thyroid]
These yoga asanas for kidney stones are among the most effective ones right now. Practising these yoga asanas regularly can help cure the kidney ailments, stones, and bladder concerns effectively without difficulty. Further, they help to relieve the pain too. Try these out and tell us how these have helped you!
Make sure you seek a doctor’s advice and treatment before you undertake any sort of treatment on your own. This yoga helps in overall fitness and kidney ailments along with the medicines. Do not practice them without doctor’s suggestions or medications.
Frequency Asked Questions And Answers:
Q1. Can Yoga And Exercise Help Pass Out The Kidney Stones?
Ans: These yoga asanas and other exercises overall help in the functioning of kidneys. Few of them also help to eliminate the stones and pass them naturally. It all depends on the stone size and the intensity of the ailment.
Q2. What Can Help To Dissolve Kidney Stones?
Ans: Acetic acid helps to dissolve the stones in kidneys naturally. It also helps to relieve the pain, but ensure that you try this under the able guidance and advice of a doctor.
Q3. Can These Yoga Asanas Be Done Regularly If You Are Suffering From Severe Kidney Stone Pain?
Ans: Yoga asanas should be worked on and practised regularly for effective results. These asanas, which involve backbends, twists, and massages to the kidney, go a long way in effective kidney functioning. They provide relief from pain and ailments related to the kidney.