Can’t concentrate on your work due to unbearable shoulder pain?
If you struggle with regular shoulders pain or stiff and tense neck, don’t worry, you’re not alone.
In this hectic modern lifestyle, it is not rare to see even young adults complaining about the problems like neck and shoulder pain.
Yoga can definitely help you ease out your shoulder pain if you do the poses correctly. But do you know what are the best yoga poses for shoulder pain?
Before we move on to the stretches for neck and shoulder pain, you must have a look at the primary causes of shoulder pain.
These causes develop pain in your neck and then it extends to shoulder and then back. Sometimes neck pain can also lead to headaches.
Read More: Yoga for Back Pain: 10 Minute Physical Exercise for Lower Back Pain
What are the major causes of shoulder pain?
1 – Prolong working on a computer/ laptop:
Sitting in the same position for a long time while working on your computer can result in severe shoulder pain. This is the reason why it is always recommended to take short breaks while working on your PC.
2 – Wrong posture of sleeping:
Sleeping posture is also important to maintain good health. An improper posture of sleeping can put stress on your shoulder resulting in shoulder pain.
Read more: Improve Posture with these 6 Yoga Inspired Spine Straightening Exercises
3 – Less physical activities:
To remain fit and active, you should do some kind of physical exercise likes walking, jogging, cycling, etc for at least 30 minutes a day.
Not doing so can also result in health problems including constant shoulder pain.
9 Simple Stretches for Neck and Shoulder Pain
Yoga is always a smarter and natural option to fix your shoulder pain as compared to painkillers and ointments. Here are the 9 effective yoga poses and stretches for neck and shoulder pain.
1. Parvatasana (Mountain Pose)
The first pose is quite simple, just follow the steps mentioned below carefully.
- Sit with your legs crossed (Sukhasan).
- Join the palm of your hands and stretch your arms up.
- Now, you will feel stretches in your shoulder, arms and back.
- Keep this pose for 1-2 minutes and slowly get back to the initial position.
2. Prasarita Padottanasana (Wide-Legged Forward Bend)
The wide-legged forward bend pose can have a calming effect on the nervous system. This is one of the best and effective stretches for neck and shoulder pain relief quickly.
- Step two feet about three and a half or four feet away from each other.
- Point your feet to parallel with toes facing inwards and heels outwards.
- Slowly start to fold forward from the hips and reach the crown of the head down.
- From here place your hands touch the ground, fingers pointing forward.
- Draw your shoulders away from ears and keep the legs active.
- Hold the position firmly anywhere between 30 seconds to 1 minute and try to breathe deeply.
Anyone with high blood pressure problems or severe back problems should avoid this asana.
3. Garudasana (Eagle Pose)
The eagle pose is good for balance and respiratory problems. It tones your thighs, arms, and shoulders.
- Stretch your arms forward, and bend your knees.
- Put all your weight into the left foot. Cross your right thigh over the left and hoop the right foot behind the calf.
- Take your right arm underneath wrap up the elbow and wrist
- breath and sit down a bit low to feel the stretch in your hips and shoulder
- With an exhalation, unwrap the hands, legs and come up.
- Repeat the same other side.
4. Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
Setu Bandhasana is great to keep a lot of flexibility in your spine and will definitely help you release neck and shoulder pain.
- Start with lying down on your back while placing your heels as close as possible to butt.
- Hold your ankles with hands and slowly inhale and lift your hip all the way up.
- Stay here for a couple of deep breaths.
- When you release the posture, exhale and gently put your hips down to the mat.
- Relax in savasana.
5. Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose)
This asana not only releases your shoulder pain but also help you relieve back pain as well. Here are a few simple steps to do it.
- Kneel on a flat surface with your arm extended above your head.
- Take a deep breath and slowly bend forward with sweeping your arms behind your back.
- Try to move your chest as close to your thighs as possible.
- Slowly, return to the initial position. Repeat the steps for 6-7 times.
6. Gomukhasana (Cow Face Pose)
Cow pose stretches the buttock muscles and opens up shoulders to help you relieve the shoulder pain.
- Sit and place your both feet on the ground, bend your knees.
- Bring your left foot underneath your right knee.
- Stuck your right knee directly on top of the left.
- Raise your right arm above your head and bend the left elbow to interlock the left arm at the back.
- Breath and exhale.
- Now release your arms, uncross your legs and back to the Dandasana.
- Repeat the same steps with another leg.
7. Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
Matsyasana is known as a deeper chest and shoulder opening yoga pose. It is one of the best stretches for neck and shoulder pain relief and quick relaxation.
- Lie on your back cross your legs in the padmasana and relax the whole body.
- Inhale and press your arms and elbows to lift the chest slightly up.
- Take your head back and lower the crown of the head to the floor.
- Hold the big toes with your hands. Breath slowly and deeply.
- Taking the support of elbows release the head and strengthen the legs.
8. Savasana (Corpse Pose)
Savasana is one of the easiest relaxing poses for a beginner, anyone can do it easily. This yoga asana provides deeper relaxation to your nervous system. It relaxes, calms and restores your whole body.
- Lie on back, rest your arms along the side of your body while palm facing upwards. Extends your legs and keep them 3 to 4 feet apart from each other.
- Turn your head into the right and left, then back to the center.
- Close your eyes, breath slowly and deeply. Pause and hold the breath for a few seconds and then exhale slowly.
- Bring your attention to the body, muscles and try to relax them.
- Start from the muscle of toes and move towards to feet, legs, hips, lower back, and shoulders.
- Then bring attention to your fingertips then move upward to armpits, chest, and belly.
- Once you are ready to come out to the pose then slowly start to slowly bring some movement to your body.
9. Brahma mudra Asana
This one is also a simple pose that can give you instant relief in shoulder pain.
- Sit comfortably with your legs crossed and a straight back.
- Slowly, move your neck towards the right-hand side.
- Hold it there for a few seconds.
- Then, slowly move your neck towards the left-hand side.
- You should repeat this procedure for at least 3-4 times.
You can simply add these poses in your daily exercise routine and lifestyle to get rid of the pain completely. These yoga stretches for neck and shoulder pain will help loosen tight and stiff muscles around the neck and shoulder.
However, you should take advice from a physician if the problem continues for an extended period of time.