The ancient practice of yoga has been there for thousands of years with limitless health benefits. Studies have confirmed that practicing even the simplest yoga stretches help in reducing anxiety and increasing cognitive performance. No matter what your yoga level is, these are perfect yoga stretches for beginners to start their yoga journey.
Yoga improves flexibility and help with fighting depression. Not only for the expert yogis but also a layman can include yoga practice to their daily life. In case you are wondering how to start yoga, read below to have a look at a few basic yoga poses anyone can practice.
Best Yoga Stretches for Beginners
It is the easiest yoga pose for beginners. Sit cross-legged and place the hands on your knees. Keep the palms facing up. The key point is to keep the back straight for the whole time. But, keep in mind that it should not be too stiff. Being in a comfortable position is the secret if you want to hold the yoga pose for a long time frame.
The pose helps you to be mindful of your body and surrounding. Focusing on the breath will keep you in touch with your higher self. Also, it makes your back flexible and releases stress.
2. Tree Pose
To begin with, stand with a few inches of gap between your feet. Join your hands to form a prayer position and raise over your head. Raise your left leg with hands in the air and place the foot on the inner thigh of your right leg. Hold it for a few breaths and repeat the same movement with another leg also.
Tree pose improves your overall sense of balance. Moreover, it strengthens the ligaments and tendons of the feet.
3. Child’s Pose
Start with resting your hips on your thighs and join the big toes. Breathe in and lean forward with extended arms such that your head touches the ground. Keep in mind that your legs should always be in contact with the ground.
The pose helps with releasing fatigue and tension from the thighs muscles. The extended posture help with elongation, decompression, and better flexibility of the spine. Also, it strengthens the legs and back muscles. It is one of the best yoga stretches for beginners to help with back pain issues.
4. Pigeon Pose
Start with getting on your all fours. Move your right knee forward and place it between your hands. Move your right leg forward just like you do in a lunge. But instead o placing your foot straight on the ground, tilt it and place the calve to the ground. Your right foot should be touching the groin.
Before changing your legs, push a little on the left leg for better calf stretching. The pose helps with hip mobility, hamstrings stretch, and back flexibility.
5. Seated Forward Bend
Sit on the ground with legs straight in front of you and keep your back straight. Now lean forward by bending the back and try to either touch your toes with your hands or touch your head on your knees. At first, it might be difficult to touch either of both.
The pose increases the flexibility of the back, hamstrings, and calves. It is one of the most basic yoga poses for beginners that improves the spine’s natural curve.
The above-mentioned are a few of the many basic yoga stretches for beginners that you can practice to start your yoga journey.
With the clarity of thoughts and a clear vision in life, you flow seamlessly when you incorporate yoga practice into your life. With calmness engulfing you, you live a blissful and serene life.
Though the aforementioned yoga stretches for beginners can be practiced with ease, if you want to get the best out of your yoga experience, here are a few tips worth considering for you.
Things to Consider Before Practicing Yoga Stretches for Beginners
- It is easy to practice basic yoga stretches, but learning about the benefits and core technicalities of these stretches from an expert yoga teacher can bring a difference to your overall yoga experience.
- Don’t push your body beyond its limits. For instance, some yoga stretches are suggested to avoid practicing in certain health conditions. So, keep in mind to practice only those yoga stretches that can benefit your body and mind.
- Don’t compare! You may find many people around you having years of yoga experience. For some – practicing yoga stretches can be a trend, but for many – it is a way to find inner. So, listen to your heart and progress in the practice of yoga the way you want.
- Beginners are advised not to eat two hours before practicing yoga stretches. Apart from that, make sure to avoid having alcohol or caffeine before doing yoga.
- Be comfortable when it comes to clothing. While practicing yoga stretches for beginners, you need to stretch your body in various directions. And if you do not wear loose and comfortable clothing while doing yoga practice, it would be hard for you to bend your body completely into a specific yoga pose.
This is all about how to make the most of your yoga experience while keeping the aforesaid points in mind. This way you will be able to reap all the benefits the beginners’ yoga stretches has to offer. So, get set to give yourself the gift of regular yoga practice for healthy living.
We wish you have a happy yoga practice experience!